- We recommend that you spot clean your bag after each use to keep your product as clean as possible without having to wash the entire bag. Washing your entire Selk'bag subjects to wear and tear and decreases the loft, so spot cleaning is your first choice. Make a paste of a little non-detergent soap and water and use a toothbrush to gently clean the shell. Unless the bag has gotten unusually dirty, many years may go by before it’ll need a complete wash.
- If you are machine washing your Selk'bag, be sure to use a small amount of non-detergent soap that is made for washing down- and synthetic-filled products (i.e Nikwax). Do not use any liquid detergent or strong powders, which may be hard to remove from the materials after washing. We strongly recommend using a front-loading machine, using a top-loading machine, the agitator function could harm your bag. Before starting sure to zip up all zippers and turn the bag inside out. Wash on the gentle cycle with cool water
- There are some professional cleaning services that specialize in washing sleeping bags. However, these types of cleaners may or may not be available in your area; just remember that you should not use your normal dry cleaning service
What not to do:
- Never dry clean your Selk’bag. The chemicals used at dry cleaners may be harmful to the Selk’bag, potentially causing a reduction in loft and thermal efficiency
- Never use fabric softener, regular detergents, bleach or alternative-bleach products. Detergents can damage the DWR treatment that keeps your Selk'bag resistant to water, dirt, pet hair, and odors
- Never wash your Selk'bag in a top-loading machine with an agitator. The agitator can strain or rip seams. A top-loader without an agitator is OK
- Try adding some other damp articles that need washing, such as a towel or a couple of T-shirts, to help balance the spin of the machine
- Rinse your bag several times to be sure that all of the detergents are removed. We recommend using at least two rinse cycles
For drying instructions, continue here for more information.
Please sign in to leave a comment.